We offer a comprehensive guidance service to all students. The service encompasses the following:
- Career/Vocational Planning & Counselling
- Educational Counselling
- Personal Counselling (One to One)
- Consultative Psychological Service
- Funding Advice
The Guidance Service is designed to help, assist and support students both academically and personally either in group work or by appointment. Topics covered include; Study Skills, Exam Techniques, CV Preparation, Motivation & Interview TechniquesThis service is available to all students throughout the year. Students may contact the Guidance Counsellor at any time for an appointment. Topics covered include: Study Skills, Exam techniques, CV Preparation, Motivation & Interview Techniques and CAO/UCAS applications.
Sports and Cultural Council
The City of Dublin Education and Training Board (CDETB) Sports and Cultural Council (SCC) promotes and co-ordinates inter-school sporting and cultural events for the 12,000 students in the CDETB’s 22 schools and colleges, including Plunket College of Further Education. Membership of the council is open to all students, including adults, enrolled in whole time day courses at Plunket College of Further Education. Students are provided with an extensive programme of activities that range from Boxing to Public Speaking, with various competitions, festivals and exhibitions.
Plunket College of Further Education has an extensive sports ground at Whitehall which is used for SCC field games. The college also has a sports hall which is available to the SCC. Venues such as the National Athletics Stadium and the National Basketball Arena are used for competition finals. The college has also used the Mansion House and the Dublin City Council offices for a number of our cultural events.
Elections to the council will be held early in the academic year and some of the functions of the council include:
- representing the views of the student body to the board of management
- promoting good communication within the College
- supporting the educational development and progress of the students
- assisting with College activities e.g. celebrations/events
- assisting with organising fund raising events for charities
A certificate of service will be presented to each member of the council at the end of the academic year at part of our Student Achievements Awards Ceremony.
Special Educational Needs Support Team
Plunket College of Further Education is committed to providing the best possible learning environment for students with special educational needs and it makes provision, wherever possible, to facilitate access and participation in the academic courses and student life of the College. The college assists in putting supports in place to assist and empower students so that they can reach their academic potential.
Students are encouraged to have a voice and become involved in the affairs of the College by working in partnership with College management and staff through various structures and bodies such as the student council and the board of management.
List of other Supports
- Resource / Learning Support teaching
- Tutor – all class groups
- Senior Tutor / Coordinator – Leaving Certficate, Repeat Leaving Certificate, Post Leaving Certificate, VTOS and BTEI
- Guidance Counsellors
- CDETB Psychological Service
- College Care Team
- Disability Support Officer (HEA)
- NBSS (National Behaviour Support Service)
- Mentoring Programme
- Student Award Scheme
- Gaeltacht Scholarships (CDETB)
- Gaisce Award
- Study Skills Seminars
- Book Rental Scheme Information evenings
- Trips – local, national and abroad